"Wild Strings"

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Nov 23 04:29:11 MST 2006

At 23:37 11/22/2006, you wrote:
>Mike --
>
>At the risk of being scorned... One of my mentors used to tell me that I was
>being obsessive about the fixes I was attempting and the tunings I was
>trying to accomplish on pianos that simply would not comply. In his words:
>"You can't save them all." It has taken me a long time to both understand
>what that means and to integrate it into my goal of satisfying the customers
>needs to the best of my ability. The piano allowing.
>
>-- Geoff Sykes
>-- Assoc. Los Angeles

No scorn from this corner. Put slightly differently than your
mentor...  you've gotten to, or realised that there is such a thing
as, what I think of as a point of diminishing returns.  In this case,
it is when further tuning effort no longer produces better results.

It is liberating to realise that there are some alleged instruments
whose PoDR is reached before you enter the room.

>>"to the best of my ability. The piano allowing."

Good mantra!

This afternoon, my diminishing returns will be to the platters, bowls
and decanters of food and libations -  and truly thankful for the
opportunity and ability to do so.

Happy Thanksgiving, All!

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;