Migration from Palm device to Pocket PC

Brad Smith, RPT staff at smithpiano.com
Thu Nov 23 03:32:04 MST 2006

Hi Guys,
Ditto to all stated so far.

I use Companion Link software to accomplish this.  $35 or something like
that, and completely worth it.
It allows Windows Mobile on a pocket pc, to talk nicely to several contact
manager applications.   Among several capabilities, you do get to pick which
fields get synced, in addition to default fields.  You don't have to dance
around renaming fields in your database, but you do have to allow those
fields to be sent to the fields available on the pocket pc device.   It's a
drop down menu thing, and you simply choose to send a field such as "Brand",
"Serial", "Type", "Model", "Last Tuned" etc..,...to fields like Dept,
Anniversary, Spouse, etc.
So....your database stays the same, but your device displays the fields
you've chosen.
It also helps the pocket pc's contacts, calendar and tasks talk nicely with
a contact manager application other than Outlook, which has always seemed so
wonderful, but NEVER has been as bullet proof or functional, as Act! in my
opinion.  http://www.act.com/

http://www.companionlink.com/

Another cool thing with Pocket PC is using your smart phone as a modem for
your laptop.
That can be done with PDAnet:

http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/

They also have PDA reach, which allows you to work with your smartphone,
from your desktop.

I just moved to the Verizon smartphone pictured here:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2200

TOTALLY cool phone!!   And the keyboard actually fits my fat thumbs.

--
Best Regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
brad at smithpiano.com