The Narcotic effect of old varnish?

Sarah Fox sarah at graphic-fusion.com
Thu Nov 23 07:39:46 MST 2006

Hi Rob,

>>A most interesting experience. I am repairing and refinishing an old damaged sound board. While scraping off the 90+/- year old varnish it puffed itself into the air in a fine powder. With age there was absolutely no effort in scraping it off. Normally I would wear a respirator in such situations but this time I didn't. After about 20 minutes of scraping and sanding I began to experience what could only be described as a narcotic effect from the stuff.

Fascinating!  One of the ingredients of the varnish could have been cannabis seeds...  ;-)  (Seriously)

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Cannabis_sativa.html

It's great to see you back on the list!  As I wrote to the list before, I'm too preoccupied with my suddenly-waaay-too-overly-busy life to do the piano stuff right now, and so I'm no longer reading (most of) the pianotech emails.  However, while sorting through an unfiltered list of emails (the pianotech stuff normally going to its own folder), I couldn't help but notice this one!  ;-)  Anyway, I'm still around, and I miss y'all.  Hopefully my life will will calm down before too long.  Happy Thanksgiving to all my compatriots!

Peace,
Sarah (Fox)
Now outside of Newport News, VA