Over-Strike vs Under-Strike

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 09:31:47 MST 2006

Jon & All
    I don't subsrcibe to this often stated  hammer bore theory below but my
mind is still open to convincing.   I  believe there is one right optimum
hammer bore spec & that's when it's  hitting at right angles to the string.
Lengthening the bore distance in grands  simply scews the geometry up & to often
misses the magic line & creating  friction& heavy touch. AMHIK.
   WHen the hammers are worn & subsequently over  strike due to filing they
simply need to be replaced.  No, they often do  not but that's my story & I'm
stickin to it. I observe that most american  grand actions over strike the
string from the git go. They are Designed that way  IMO.
  Due to geometry the action achieves its full power when  the shank is
perpendicular to the keybed however in order to allow for this the  hammers are
bored a bit short to allow for let-off.  Make sense or  not?
  I  see where you are coming from on the   upright. It shouldn't be any
different.  SO why is it?

It  seems to me that the better angle for the hammer would be
an initial slight  under strike so that as the hammer wears the strike
angle approaches  perpendicular (playing in) and gradually over
striking as it wears  further.  Instead of hitting perpendicularly
initially and playing out  from the beginning.

On this piano, 75% of the string cut is on the  top shoulder. How
can this be beneficial.  And why is there a  difference in theory
for strike angle between verticals and grands.  I  see many
verticals with this over strike.
--

Regards,

Jon  Page