to correct a light action

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 12:26:17 MST 2006

Jop writes:

<< It would be better to add lead to the rear of each key. Chances are
that the keys are front-heavy so adding lead will help the touch while the
damper
pedal is depressed.<<

   Hmm,  I guess this is so if there is no lead in the front of the key.
Otherwise, I would be inclined to use a bradpoint, 5/16" drillbit to remove lead
from the existing keyleads.

Most verticals which come through the shop get lead installed to
effect a -6 g FW on
the white keys. The sharps do not always require back lead. >>

     I recently examined a Kawai K-3. The capstan blocks on the white keys
all had two steel inserts.  Is this becoming more of an industry practise
elsewhere?
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT