Ovr-Stke vs Undr-Stke (hamm filing question)

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 14:51:17 MST 2006

HI Julia
  For a light filing, yes, you raise a practical  issue.  There is of course
a tolerance at which performance won't  suffer  greatly.  It would be great if
the fix were as simple as   a let--off adjustment but in order to maintain
proper regulation/ i.e. blow  distance .... hammer line needs to be raised as
will the drop & let-off  screw.  The magic line changes & the hammers now over
center more as  well. All the while the touch becoming lighter due to felt loss
& geometry  changes. It always Strikes me as such a sticky wicket. Don't you
think? And then there's the scruffing scuffing hammer thing.
  Dale

    I  grands, wont a let-off  adjustment compensate for a slight filing. If
hammers that have had  medium to moderate wear are filed, why not adjust
let-off? Why replace  the hammers so soon?

Julia
Reading, PA

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
Modesto, Ca.
Shop 209-577-8397
cell  209-985-0990
Web site _http://www.Erwinspiano.com_ (http://www.erwinspiano.com/)
Restoration & Sales of
Steinway & Sons plus  other fine pianos.
Custom made soundboards by  design