Rigid shank (was Scruffing -was etc.)

Paul McCloud service at pianosd.com
Mon Nov 27 13:44:45 MST 2006

Some time ago, we had Don Mannino give a presentation to our Guild chapter.
Along with his legendary video clips, he demonstrated his method for
adjusting the flexibility of the shanks by shaving off a little from the
bottom of the shank.  His analysis of some pianos was  that the shanks  were
too stiff, and his comparison was like that of a golf club. Swinging a golf
club with a flexible shaft can produce a longer flight  of the ball, because
at the time of impact the shaft imparts energy stored as it straightens out.
He gave the example of some pianos that he felt had reached a saturation
point, and by shaving the shank, he felt he got more power.  Perhaps Don can
elaborate on this.

    Paul McCloud
    San Diego