Lacquer Thinner...was Softening Sohmer Hammers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 00:44:40 MST 2006

Thanks Horace,

I have kept the beasts so I'll take the time to experiment. It's lacquer for
sure. I'll give lacquer thinner a try as per your suggestion.

Alan,
Most people don't know that there a different grades of Lacquer Thinner.
The stuff that you get from your local big box stores, etc. ain't the good
stuff. I get mine from my Refinisher. He gets it from ???, and I'm here to
tell you it is really good stuff, that is waaaay stronger than the regular
stuff. I asked him about it and where he got it and he just smiled and
said: "why would you want to know?""You'd have to buy it in 55gallon
barrels!"  Needless to say, I get it from him. When I'm running low, I've
saved the 1 gallon cans from previous thinner purchases. I pump off a few
gallons and I'm good to go for quite a while. It cleans up Epoxy far
better. I use it for thinning my Hammer Dope. (It flashes faster, too, BTW)
Also good for removing indescriminate Rattle Can Paint Jobs!<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I