Urgent need of help with three technical terms

Andreas Risberg garheimer at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:18:48 MST 2006

Thank you Mr. Foote for you reply!

Ed wrote: Tht would be "deviation from parallel".

So that is the technical term for it?

Ed also wrote: I don't know about this.  Gravity doesn't care how big
something is, ie. a big steel ball doesn't fall any faster or slower than a
smaller one. The gravity-based restorative force on a large hammer are no
different than on a smaller one, however, given equal friction in both
systems, the additional mass of the heavier hammer will actually give it
more advantage over the friction, and it should fall faster.  (notice, that
with equal amounts of verdigris in a piano action, the topmost treble
hammers will return much slower).

Haha, I know that gravity doesn’t care about size or weight. Neither does my
gf. However, in a badly balanced action (if the measurement I’m asking for
is too small or even negative) a heavy hammer would out-balance the butt and
the back stop and it would tend to tip forward. I forgot to indicate that I
was referring to a problem case where the action rail might be too far from
the strings.

Hope this clarifies further! Best wishes, Andreas the Swede

Ps. Just the other day I spoke with my mother and she had just been to a
very amusing afternoon lecture. The lecturer turned out to be the Jim
Henson’s “Swedish Chef” original. He’s alive and well!!