finishing bench top

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 29 07:09:29 MST 2006

Joel,

With an oak door I expect you've got some very open grain.  For that, I
would use polyurethane, and begin with several coats of sealer,
thoroughly sanded, until the grain is filled and the surface is smooth.
Then a couple finish coats of gloss, which is harder than either sealer
or satin finish.  Anything less, and you'll be dealing with lots of
splinters and surface defects.

Mike