Lower Tenor Bridge "apron" crack

A440 Piano Service a440 at bresnan.net
Thu Nov 30 09:05:31 MST 2006

Dear List,

I'm attaching a photo of the lower end of the tenor bridge on a Wurlitzer spinet.  The first two notes (lowest) sound pretty bad in comparison to the rest of the piano.  Sort of nasal, and short on sustain.  The customer asked me before I began tuning if I thought they were out of tune.  They were in fact in pretty darn good intonation and the unisons were good, but the notes had that nasal sound.

Upon inspection I can see some cracks starting at the bridge itself, but you can also see a crack in the "apron" sort-of piece just above the lowest part of that tenor bridge.  I'm wondering if that crack inhibits transfer of vibration to a more flexible part of the soundboard that would enhance sustain, and if I could repair it and improve the sound by filling that crack with either epoxy or a variety of CA glue - maybe a gel type.

Your opinions and insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
John Dorr
Helena, MT