Steinway upright verdigris

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 11:23:50 MST 2006

David Love writes:
Sometimes spending the client’s money on the second best, even temporary,
solution is necessary until such a time that the best solution can be considered.

Sure, you're right. I didn't mean to sound as if I refuse to treat tight
centers. In fact, an action is coming in to the shop in February for new parts,
the centers of which I juiced (Protek) last year in order to buy some time for
the owner to save up. However, I think some of us, in our [noble] desire to
save the client money, aren't clear enough that this is temporary, and will be on
top of the expense of an unavoidable parts replacement, and fairly soon at
that. On a high-performance, multi-tens-of-thousands piano, most owners
understand that anything less than the correct repair will result in inferior
performance, so the sooner their hopes of a cheap solution are made realistic, the
better. Certainly I commiserate with them, and if they need to choose an interim
solution, I'll do it cheerfully.

I have been slow to try Goose Juice, because of my past experience with
products with unpublished "miracle ingredients," which turned out later to have
surprising side effects. Think of silicone-bearing polishes like Pledge, which as
a refinisher I've learned to hate as the new finish fisheyes. Or Teflon. Or
graphited centers. At least with a known substance like naphtha and mineral oil
I might be able to deduce, "hmmm, that's going to gum up when it dries for a
few years." Of course, if I know I'm going to replace the parts, I don't
suppose it matters what I put on. I guess I'm being unreasonable. Okay, okay, I
guess I'll try it....

Bob Davis