Overall inharmonicity, was RE: Call for scaling spreadsheets

Calin Tantareanu calin1000 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 06:11:50 MDT 2006

Stephane writes about overall inharmonicity and its influence on the piano's
projection. I have read Fenner's book on piano design, and there he divides
pianos in 3 groups according to overall inharmonicity. He cites several
examples among them: Boesendorfer = low inh., Steinway = middle, and
Bechstein (the only one) = high inh.
Interesting to note that he says that high inharmonicity scales sound better
than the others at low to medium levels of volume, but when played very loud
they start distorting, which he says is typical for Bechstein (I guess he
refers to the older models, since Fenner died a while ago and Bechstein just
brought out new grand models in the last couple of years).
Sclaes with lower inh. Sound les interesting at moderate levels but don't
distort loud playing.
He explained the perceived beauty of tone of scales with high inh. through a
peculiarity of the inner ear, but I don't remember all of it.
Calin Tantareanu
http://calin.haos.ro