Formulae for String Calculations

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 3 11:37:30 MDT 2006

You'd have to look up the formula in Roberts (or equivalent) for
inharmonicity which takes into account the unwrapped portion (I think his
formula calculates for 1/2" on each end.  Increase that part in the formula
and compare.  A smooth inharmonicity curve within each section is desirable.
Answering the question of "how much difference" is difficult as there are
theoretical versus the practical differences.  While the goal of perfect
uniformity within and between unisons is a good one to shoot for, small
differences (< 1/4") are probably not worth losing any sleep over in terms
of tuning problems.  The greater the difference the greater potential but
there are other factors involved such as string versus wrap diameters and
the overall length of the string.  How it looks is another matter.  Uneven
windings look sloppy and reflect on your work--even if you didn't do it and
even if it sounds ok.  Certain string winders are better than others in this
area and certain technicians are better at measuring hitch to bridge pin
distances and speaking lengths.  Unless you measure accurately you won't get
accuracy from the string maker.  Making and sending off paper patters is for
dinosaurs.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com