String Calculations, etc.....

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 3 13:05:43 MDT 2006

RicB asked: "My question is, whether or not spreadsheets and string calculation
programs generally take into account these end lengths for basic scaling
work ? How important is it to gain the extra accuracy in taking into
account these endlenghts..."

RicB,
Although, I'm not JD, I can say that ScaleMaster does take the "Steps" (between undercover winding and overcover windings in relation to the "swedge".), into consideration. Most String makers have their own preference as to the length of the Swedge/Steps. It does matter, as you well know. How much? Not too much, IMO. (Depends on how "anal" you are in scaling..<G>)
On a similar subject of this line of discussion, is the misconception that most have in regards to "Inharmonicity" and Harmonic Expansion, (i.e. "stretch"). In the real world Inharmonicity is not the same as Harmonic Expansion. The formula for Inharmonicity is simply that, a formula. Likewise with the Z formula, (i.e. "loudness" or "impedance". It is simply a formula for "getting one's ducks in a row", so to speak. Do these formulae help to make a piano sound and tune better? You betcha! Just don't expect for a "flat" Inharmonicity graph to produce a "flat" tuning. Get it?
All three factors, (Inharmonicity/Impedance/Harmonic Expansion) need to be considered in a thorough Scale Evaluation/Improvement. Scaling is a long learning curve that has a lot of experimentation/implimentation along the way.  Just running the numbers won't cut it, IMO. Food for thought.<G>
Regards,
,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police