model B wire gauges & string calculations

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Oct 3 18:44:00 MDT 2006

Hello All,

Thank you so much for the many replies to my request for the standard
plain wire gauges of the early Steinway model B. I haven't rebuilt
any early Bs, so I didn't have a scale on file. With the wire gauges
filled in, here's a jpg below of the 85-note model B scaling graphs.

Steinway circ 1890 model B scaling graphs

Just in case the above jpg doesn't get through the Pianotech sever, I
have uploaded a copy to;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/1890B.scale.jpg

The scale is not surprisingly quite similar to the 'modern' B.
There's a gaping tension hole from F21 to C#29, and for the lowest
singles. No surprises why Ron Nossaman designed a nine note
transition bridge from F21 to C#29 for the remanufactured model B he
exhibited at the recent Rochester national PTG convention. I'll be
doing the same for the 1890 piano if it gets to be rebuilt in our
workshop (as an aside, several years ago we rebuilt a modern model B.
Before removing the strings at teardown, I pulled note F21 up to B
flat #26 - to 41% of breaking strain - just to have a listen. The
tone was so much improved, and so too would have been the tuning
stability, had the piano been originally designed with the break on B
flat #26 at the original #F21's 145 cm speaking length). Look also at
the Z (impedance) jump between note F21 and E20. This jump can be
plainly heard in the piano as well. Just makes me wonder how folks
who claim to be at the cutting edge, and who also claim to be making
continual improvements, can sit on such scaling problems for over a
century and pretend that there's not an issue. While it is excusable
in a 1890 piano, it is now 2006 and our understanding has totally
changed. Of course, the contemporary industry is plagued with
similarly poor scales amongst a variety of manufacturers.

I'll include below a small-piano scale graph, taken from one of my
own scales, for those of you who may be interested, since there has
been quite a lot of scaling discussion on the Pianotech list
recently. Without cutting the back-scale short, this scale can be
squeezed into an upright of just over 130 cm (the "% breaking strain"
graph is the uppermost one).

An Overs design, Short-piano scale graphs

Just in case the above jpg doesn't get through the Pianotech sever, I
have uploaded a copy to;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/upright.scale2.jpg

As some of you have mentioned on the list (David Love may have been
one who mentioned it), you can't design with smooth curves on all
three parameters simultaneously. We will therefore have to compromise
on one or more parameters depending on our priorities. Over the past
several years I have chosen to smooth inharmonicity and Z, while
juggling the speaking length and wire gauges to minimise the
deviation of percentage of breaking strain at the transitions between
tri-chord and bi-chord strings, and bi-chord and singles. I regard a
15% tension change between sections to be unacceptable. It is
possible to get the deviation down to around 10% without compromising
on inhamonicity and impedance. In the upright scale shown above, the
tension falls to around 41% at the lowest treble note, #F33, with the
first bichord covered note in the bass at around 51%. This will
result in quite good tuning stability at the cross over. By
comparison, the Steinway model D has a tension in the treble which
falls to around 36% at F21 (the lowest treble note), with the first
trichord covered bass note (E20) at around 51%. So the upright scale
shown above has quite a bit less tension deviation than the
industry-standard model D scale. Therefore, all other things being
equal, one would expect the tuning stability of the above short-piano
scale to be improved, when compared to that of the industry-standard
model D. I look forward to the possibility that within 20 years a
majority of pianos might use scales with deviations similar to the
upright scale shown above, or better. With longer pianos it is
possible to design a scale with even less tension deviation than the
upright scale shown above.

Richard Brekne asked recently about the reliability of calculated
inharmocity verses the real world measured figures. Yes there are
differences. In the wound string section in particular, the deviation
between calculated inharmonicity and real world figures get worse as
the wrap diameter increases. However, the deviation when the windings
are small is quite insignificant, so the cross over calculations will
still be quite close. And this is where it matters most. I don't own
a Cybertuner, but these devices can measure the real inharmonicity.
As usual, in uncle Joe G's recent post, he was carrying on with all
the usual commonsense that he has become known for. Well done uncle
Joe.

I see Terry F is getting all geared up to do a transition bridge
which includes moving the agraffe line - good idea Terry, but it is a
lot of work. I've done a transition in a Yamaha G2 where I moved the
hammer line to correct for the strike point problems created by the
inclusion of a transition bridge - the result was good but it also is
too much work, creating some action geometry issues which have to be
worked around. When you check enough scales from existing
manufacturers, including some who claim the high ground, for many the
strike ratio is already quite varied across the break between bass
and treble.

By the way Terry, I suspect that the dust extractor you've got might
be a better unit than many of the other commercially available units.
Bill's design uses an impeller with backward curved blades. Many of
the commercially available units use impellers with straight blades.
Both impellers will work fine while the filters are unblocked. But
once the filters start to get restricted the backward curved impeller
will keep pumping relatively well, while the straight bladed version
will stall. Good design is usable for a lifetime. Trash is trash.

We need to believe that we can make a difference in our own lifetime,
by not putting our collective heads in the sand. The current
Pianotech list scaling-discussion would seem to be indicating that
serious head-from-sand extrication is really happening. Bravo!

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers