Tri-chord wound strings - was formulae.......

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 3 19:56:05 MDT 2006

Ron N said: "It's three times worse for wrapped trichords, which is one
reason I eliminate them when allowed."

Ron,
Just completed a scale evaluation of a Pease Upright that HAD three string wound unisons, on a transition bridge. (first I've seen in a long time<G>). I changed them to two string unisons/wound. What a difference! Easy to do on this piano and will be markedly improved, even for this middle range instrument.
Joe Goss's original query regarding all of this discussion on scaling, certainly has opened up a large door.<G> Regarding that initial query: This Pease had a new set of bass stings, that had been "duped", (pun intended), by one of our string makers. I was hoping to reuse them, as the client would like to save costs if possible. One look at that "mess", was enough to tell me that there is no way I'd use them!! All over the map! Are ya listening Joe?<G>
Best Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I