Petrof Quality

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Oct 4 04:57:58 MDT 2006

Hi Phil

Petrofs are thee piano that I most love to hate.  That is to say... They
really do have a nice overall sound picture.  Seems to be loads of
potential, and a field technician can usually accomplish all kinds of
good tone / touch building results.  But the fact that there is a lot of
potential means there is a lot left undone or less then top quality done
things from the factory.

These have in my experience traditionally included sloppy bridge pin
placement, poor action assembly /parts, sometimes downright horrible
bass strings, tons of falsebeats up in the treble, mushy action felts
(including centers bushings) rubber shanks.... and on occasion bad
pinblock material and workmanship.

I once had to send a Weinbach (Petrof clone) upright back to the dealer
because there was a 1/4 inch gap between the plate and the pinblock and
because the pinblock was missing several bits of laminate all visable
when one pulled up the covering felt they used to use.  The thing was
split as well.

For the most part... serious structual problems are not seen in Petrofs,
especially their bigger grands... tho you do see them.  Mostly its the
falseness in the treble, bad bass strings...and action concerns that one
meets... and you can accomplish a lot without getting too deep into the
instrument.

With the overall nice sound they have....  I generally have to go along
with a positive recommendation for these instruments.  The price is
good...the problems can be resolved (usually), and they sound nice.

Cheers
RicB

I have a customer who is interested in a 7' 9" Model 2 Petrof grand. I am
blissfully ignorant as to the quality and workmanship of this piano, yet
told
her that I would ask those more knowledgeable. Does anyone have an opinion
about  the new Petrofs? I searched the archives and most entries were
getting
close to  five years old.

Thanks,
Phillip Pardue