Designs on a grand scale

alan forsyth alan at forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 16:37:03 MDT 2006

Ron Overs wrote;

"I look forward to the possibility that within 20 years a majority of pianos might use scales with deviations similar to the upright scale shown above, or better. With longer pianos it is possible to design a scale with even less tension deviation than the upright scale shown above."

Just curious, for what size grand would this scale design be appropriate?

I've wondered why when over 100 years ago Steinway had a transition bridge design in their model (short) A was this abandoned. Has anyone ever contacted them to ask why or have they not employed scale designers since?

And speaking of designs American, what on earth were they thinking of here?

Now this is more like it!

AF