Korean Wurly

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 5 19:58:45 MDT 2006

When I worked for Baldwin in the 80's and 90's, Wurlitzer was owned by
Baldwin.  My work took me to the Wurlitzer plants, before they were
eventually taken into the Baldwin facilities.  I remember seeing buckets of
flanges being soaked in a silicone solution.  Not just the bushing cloth,
but the entire flange was saturated with the stuff.  In a Wurlitzer from
this era, you can see a difference in color between the flange and other
action parts, even though they are made of the same wood species.  I do not
know if this practice was carried over to production in the Orient, but a
comparison of the color of the wood in the flange and the other action
parts would tell the story.  If the flange is slightly darker in color,
this is likely to be the cause.  If this is the source of the problem,
repinning won't fix it.  Rebushing might, but I would not put an iron-clad
guarantee on it unless the entire flange were replaced, knowing how
silicone "creeps."

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net