Levels of math necessary for truly understanding scaling, etc.

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Oct 5 22:34:59 MDT 2006

I cannot claim to come from a math-challenged family.  My brother is a math teacher at a junior college, so there goes that excuse.  But I am not gifted in that regard, for whatever reason.  Algebra gave me fits when I was in junior high, and I promptly forgot it all.  Nonetheless, I don't want to remain ignorant about it, because much of what we do is directly or indirectly governed by mathematical rules and principles

My brother teaches math online.  I'm going to ask him to point me towards a course suited to my needs.

Question:  can anybody hazard a guess or give an informed opinion as to what level of math is necessary to understanding the concept of scaling, and other more advanced aspects of piano technology?

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net