Business: getting and keeping customers

Michael Spalding spalding48 at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 7 08:19:53 MDT 2006

Julia,

I think that if you do what YOU are comfortable with, then over the years you will collect a clientele which is comfortable with what you do.  Some folks want/need the aggressive followup calls, others resent.  Personally, I am comfortable with one card, which, if ignored, does not get repeated.  My clients love the reminder, sometimes it sits on their fridge for a while before they call, but eventually they call.  If they never call, I don't want them as clients.  Non-responders and their pianos tend to be higher maintenance than they are willing to pay for.  I want clients who are attentive to their pianos' needs, and who appreciate a well-maintained piano.  "I knew it was time to call for a tuning when the third key stopped working."  As a result of my somewhat passive approach, my tuning business is not demanding all of my time, but then I always have at least one rebuild project to absorb the extra time.  So you see it is a matter of personal preference, both yours and the customer's.  And it you are consistently true to yourself, you will eventually gather the clientele that you want.

Our chapter recently hosted a speaker on "business building" , a tuner from a neighboring chapter.  He would mail a series of cards at 6 months, 12 months, 18 months...  each time escalating the urgency of the message about the consequences of neglecting piano maintenance.  Seemed like a nice compromise between my single card, and the aggressive telemarketing.

JMO, and YMMV.

Mike