Replacing a damper spring !

John Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Sat Oct 7 09:14:21 MDT 2006

George,

I'm trying to think if I've done this before. Seems like yes for one or
two springs, but it's tricky because you have to correctly line up the
flange screw with the hole with the pressure of the spring operating
against you. (One of those really long flat-head screwdrivers with the
spring clip to hold the screw in place would work here -maybe from
Pianotek?) And I think you have to loosen the top action bracket screws
to "lean" the action back so you can get a screwdriver back there. You
have to ask if it's really worth the extra time to remove the action,
or if you might be able to it without removing it. I figure that it's
at least worth a try before taking the action out. (Something I can do,
but not something I particularly like.)

There are some good tools for removing spinet actions. Check Pianotek
for the tool that holds the stickers in place, or there are some
homemade options. There is also some good information in the archives
for removing Acrosonic actions. Do a search with "drop action,"
"Acrosonic," and "Driscoll." Tom Driscoll posted some very helpful
images for Acrosonics, if I recall.

JF