Spreadsheet hints [was Re: Designs...]

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Oct 7 15:43:36 MDT 2006

At 5:27 pm +0200 7/10/06, Ric Brekne wrote:

>Very nifty indeed.  I noticed you included the ability to alter
>design concert pitch frequency. Thats one of the first elements I
>included in the sheet I am working up now. Good idea me thinks.
>This gives me a few ideas for getting rid of columns :)

Much of your data can be kept in hidden columns to the left of the
visible columns, or sometimes in between, depending on convenience.
Most of my hidden data I only look at once in a blue moon and then
usually only to steal it for some other purpose.  But to use named
cells, columns, tables etc. is infinitely better than relative
references to A1/R1C1 cells.

If you have a named table, for example a table containing MWG sizes
in the left column and breaking strains in the right, you can use the
LOOKUP function to get values from the table.  See the attached
example.

>As for Log scale entry.  Clearly see the benefit spreadsheet wise.
>But what if you have to make some kind of a bend in the curve
>somewhere to accommodate some physical situation in the piano ?  How
>is that handled ?

Normally you would simply define the equation for the curve and draw
it.  What do you mean by a bend in the curve?  I do hope we're not
going to be discussing low-inharmonicity zig-zag bridges next! :-)

JD