A downside to self-employment

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Oct 7 23:44:26 MDT 2006

You don't get paid when you don't work.  That's the big downside.  Vacations we generally tend to account for, but it's hard to plan sick leave.

I probably should have taken this whole week off.  I had a couple of nights of fever and chills, and was feeling weak most of the time.  But like the stubborn ox I am, I pushed through what I thought was a cold, capped by a 4 tuning-with-some-voicing Friday that included a fair amount of driving.  I ended up in the ER that night with chest pain.  Turns out it was a mild case of pneumonia, not a heart issue.

Do others of you notice a difference in sound perception when you have a fever?  Even pianos that I tuned that passed every interval and etd test available to me sounded unpleasant and off.

Next time, I'll listen to my body when it screams, "take the time off."  It would be a lot more costly to end up in the hospital for a long stretch than to miss a few days of work.

Be Well,

Dave Stahl, Sunday Sofa Spud

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560