string cleaning

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 8 20:49:24 MDT 2006

Hey Now,

I have a question for the group. This may not be as technical as say the re-scaling of a piano but perhaps it may be of importance to the daily service we provide.

On occasion I detail pianos. Part of this service includes removing rust from strings. I use those eraser type things the  various suppliers sell on bass strings, and sometimes on plain wire with limited success. I also use scotch bright scrub pads to remove rust on pain wire (the dark green course ones). As a finishing touch I use flitz on the pedals, name board and other brass parts that can easily be reached. Sometimes it can bring a plate back to life as well! One client observed me using flitz and produced a small packet with a flitz cleaning cloth inside. Kind of like a hand wipe from Kentucky Fried Chicken. I have not been able to find this product in any store, however on the flitz website they do sell these cleaning cloths in various sizes.

Now finally my question. Would it cause any harm to use these cleaning cloths on plain wire strings to remove rust. I would be hesitant to use them on bass strings as I know you can kill a bass string by getting any residue in the copper windings.

Opinions, comments please.

Thanks in advance.

Now lets all talk amoungst ourselves.

Steve