S&S D with high strings/low action stack

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 08:26:44 MDT 2006

What year is the piano?  The bore may not have been right to begin
with--wouldn't be the first time.  Check the string height, flange center
pin to key bed and bore dimension to see how far off you are.  Since the
jack /knuckle line is askew it's possible that replacement parts were put on
that don't really work that well--or that 17 mm knuckles were added to an
action originally set up for 16 mm and the original wippens were
maintained--I see that a lot.  Without replacing parts and reconfiguring,
anything you do is probably a compromise.  You might be able to get away
with increasing the spread by shimming out the wippen flanges and raising
the stack.  You'll need to do some experimenting.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com