S&S D with high strings/low action stack

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 9 10:19:29 MDT 2006

Ric, Dave, others,
The piano faculty there until now just had the piano "tuned", they
were rather surprised about how much difference a "technical" can
make.    Didn't realize that there was more to a piano than "tuning"
& maybe that black-art called voicing.  That said, it still is not as
good as I made another local D because of the previous-mentioned problem.
All previous work was apparently done by the rarely available and
inaccessible dealer technician with little comment or
explanation.  They can't really tell me much about its history.  It
was selected new by the professor and he says if he had it to do over
again he would choose differently.  He says he wished he had selected
a "crisper" action but that what I have done has gone a long ways
towards that goal.  A donor funded the purchase.

The professor just played (last night) the Beethoven 5th piano
concerto on two weeks notice because the original soloist was
unexpectedly deployed (military).  He did a beautiful job of
interpreting the work.  He commented on how much more responsive the
piano was and how it doesn't wear him out like it used to.  (Wurzen
punchings to the rescue.)

I'm going to carefully measure string height, flange height, action
spread, gap to fall-board and above fall-board and gap to the
pinblock.  Are there any other measurements that would facilitate
this discussion?

Andrew Anderson