S&S D with high strings/low action stack

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 9 19:44:23 MDT 2006

Ric,
Yeah, the hammers are well above the felt, I went for the standard
0.390 key-dip as there was adequate after-touch.  Regulation is much
improved now with the exception of a rather deep drop setting.  Drop
screws were pretty much maxed out before I started on them.  A couple
were broken so I guess the dealer tech. was up against it too.

As to history, I could try pumping the former Dean of the school for
more info, he's a guitar guy and hard to catch.  As for the school,
try deep Texas on the border where you have to know someone to do
anything.  As for Steinway NY, it was a cost cutting move, leave
finishing the pianos to the dealers (don't reduce the price) and the
fabled marketing department pitched it as a piano locally customized
for you!  Which means the Monday morning after... pianos slip out the
door and get shipped to unsuspecting dealers who hope and pray for
unsuspecting customers.

Andrew Anderson