Hammer Types

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Tue Oct 10 14:32:49 MDT 2006

Hi Dave...

I see you are off on a confrontational road again.  I simply reacted to
Dels comments which seemed to define a whole group of pianists as not
having any use for pianisimo level of play.  What is or isnt pianisimo
level is clearly (in the context of the discussion) in the realm of the
subjective.  It would be just as useless for some pianist to accuse the
very low levels of soft play as being too soft.

Since reacting to what appeared to me as a sweeping generalization was
the thrust of my post... in favour of being aware of the subjective
nature of these issues... I really dont see where on earth you are
comming from.   I'm gonna toss this one back at you and ask for a little
less over defensivness.  Your closing paragraph accuses me of exactly
that which I reacted against.... so obviously you missed my point entirely.

I'll let you have the last word on the matter if you wish... as I'm not
really into this mode of discussion at all.

Cheers
RicB

I think you need to get over ascribing statements about universal truths to
those who claim a preference simply because they may not agree with your
own.  Choosing a piano to build or play, or a tonal concept to develop is
just about that: choice.  There are many choices out there (most of them on
the louder, more percussive, bigger bangier side) and trying to fit every
piano into a single box or compare every piano on the same terms is simply a
mistake.  High tension and low tension scales demand different soundboard
performance, require different hammers and produce different types of tone.
Unless you've heard a piano such as the one below and can determine for
yourself whether a soft hammer is capable of producing both power and
brilliance as well as the ability to play down to a whisper or produce a
better timbral balance on a particular design, I would be reluctant to make
claims about what can or can't be done based on your belief rather than
experience or knowledge.

That you have a personal philosophy about tone is certainly within your
right.  And if you prefer, you can try and fit every piano you come across
into that little box whether the piano belongs there or not.  But I would be
cautious about allowing philosophy to become ideology and with it the need
to provide all the answers without first understanding the questions.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com