Collard & Collard Patent Repeater Action, London

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Tue Oct 10 15:12:25 MDT 2006

Hi Ron.

Of course, I agree 100 % with all what you said.

I must apologize once again because I didn't get right the post or Terry.
This appears to happen often to poor me (ask RicB, he is used to it).

Certainly, an untouched antique and a perfectly playing piano reflecting the
original design are two different things, and indeed there is a strange,
irrational behaviour amongst the antique pianos customers, wanting an
untouched original instrument in perfect playing condition.  On this topic,
I also would like to hear Anne's opinion.  I know Pierre Gevaert is
constantly struggling with his heads in the Brussels museum, who constantly
say : make it work, but don't change anything (in an attempt to please and
the pianist and the historian).  But this is the land of the most curious
things, as I often hear that no copy nor severely restored antique sounds
like some happy few glorious untouched antiques.  What is the part of
predisposed mind in this ?

Now, regarding strings, what is better : the original stuff (known to be at
that time very carefully selected) or modern stuff at best only approaching
only some of the physical features of the original ?  In my opinion, the
original stuff, if not breaking, will speak more for the original design.
Modern stuff anyway needs rescaling to function properly, and will alter
much the tonal characteristics of the instrument (maybe in the good
direction, but not in the original one).

About the hammers, my opinion will differ : the original hammers are most of
the time worn to the molding, or at least, they don't have the resilience
characteristics anymore that they once had.  So even if modern felt is not
what ancient was, it will better speak for the original design than original
worn hammers do, methink.  Yet, some old hammers still do well, and create
strong emotions, even if they certainly are not the original emotions.

About soundboard, yet another story.  In princip, I would agree that a new
board made to copy the original would be closer to the original design in
sound and performance, again nonobstant the fact that we don't have the same
wood anymore, nor cared for in the same extreme ways they did once.  But
then, my opinion is that aging is a positive parameter in some happy
soundboards, who truly gain personnality with time, and good vibrations.  So
for me, a new soundboar would get the clock back to 0 h 0 minute, that is :
not the best advocate of the instrument.  But that was probably the same
situation back then.  Nothing is simple.

Curiously enough, once again, all other parts in the piano are less subject
to religious extremisms, at least among customers.  Maybe the french polish,
which a new one hardly can compare to the original if well preserved.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.