Humidity (Moisture mystery)

Michelle Smith michelle at cdaustin.com
Tue Oct 10 21:00:38 MDT 2006

Hi Jere and others-

It's interesting that you posted this today.  I tuned a piano for a customer
6 weeks ago and encouraged them to resume use of their Dampp Chaser system
that had been left off for a couple of years.  (We replaced the pads and
filled it with water and the bottled solution.)

They have since kept it hydrated and called to say that the pitch was off
and could I come take a look.  As I assumed would happen, some of the notes
were pretty out of whack but to my real surprise, the whole piano (except
for the high treble) was 14 cents FLAT!  I was quite surprised because I
thought the addition of all that water would cause it to go sharp.

Anyone have any ideas of what happened here?  (I have my own theory but want
to hear from some people with more experience.)

Thanks!

Michelle Smith
Bastrop, Texas