Humidity

WilsonianJ at aol.com WilsonianJ at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 00:26:31 MDT 2006

Dear Jere,

I'll add my 2 cents (or in this case, 30!) with a story that may help you
persuade your college folks.   For over a decade, I cared for the pianos at a
local college.   20 of their 50 pianos were in one big room.   Invariably, they
would all be 15 cents sharp in the summer (when RH was as high as 70%) and 15
cents flat in the winter (when RH was as low as 20%).   Major tuning hassles,
needless to say.   I campaigned for years for them to budget for humidity
control systems.   I finally got to install them (two 35 watt dehumidifiers per
piano, and 1 humidistat per two pianos, if memory serves).   [To cover the other
extreme in the winter, we simply used a room humidifier with it's own
humidistat.]

The seasonal pitch swings were immediately reduced from 15 cents sharp / 15
cents flat to 3 cents sharp / 3 cents flat.   ...A year later someone
accidentally unplugged one of the units.  That piano was 15 cents sharp, all the others
only 3 cents.   Pretty convincing demonstration of the system's efficacy,
methinks.

Hope this helps with your dealings with the college!

Cheers,
Jim Wilson, R.P.T.
L.A. Chapter