Hammer Types

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Oct 11 12:43:58 MDT 2006

David...

What is old and tiring is your insistance on being this kind of rude
anytime anyone says anything that doesnt fit into YOUR idea of what
pianos are... and then witness you turn around and accuse THEM of being
in a box.  You personalize any discussion that suits you. There was
absolutly nothing in my reply to Dels post deserving of this outburst.

I stand by every word of my reply to Dels post and I beg your pardon,
but the only one doing any mischaracterization around here is you.

Enough already.... Sheeeshh...

RicB

------------

    Confrontation, no, impatience, yes.  I get your point--it's hard not
    to, you
    keep making it over and over again and you continue to mischaracterize
    others' comments.  Given the popularity of Yamaha pianos in
    particular, and
    loud and percussive pianos in general, it is arguable that many
    pianists are
    not interested in a true pianissimo.  That's not a value judgment, it
    doesn't require a huge leap of faith, it's a reasonable assumption
    based on
    consumer behavior.

    It's an old and tiring discussion with you making claims about what
    is or
    isn't possible without hearing the pianos in question.  Your own
    bias is in
    evidence but you don't need to defend it.  There's nothing particularly
    wrong with your choice though I may not share your taste.  But it's
    not the
    only choice.  For things to progress you have to periodically question
    assumptions.  It may seem counterintuitive that a soft hammer can be
    bright,
    pack some punch and power and still offer a wide range of dynamic range
    without having to resort to the una corda pedal to get something
    resembling
    a true pianissimo (not what the pedal was designed for, in my
    view).  But
    unless you are willing to entertain the idea as a possibility, you won't
    recognize it even if you do hear it.

    David Love
    davidlovepianos at comcast.net