S&S D with high strings/low action stack

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 13:53:48 MDT 2006

At 9:42 am -0400 11/10/06, Erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

>JD wrote
>>Broadly speaking I agree with Dale Erwin, as far as he goes, except
>>that I aim to have each hammer strike the string at exactly a right
>>angle.  I don't follow the reasoning as regards over-centring.
>
>The logic you shareÊshould indicate an error in the approach you suggest.

You seem to have misread something...

>  Since the strings and key bed are not parallel to each other a
>hammer mounted at right angle to the shank is going favor hitting
>the back side of the hammer striking point. Also altering the bore
>distance by making it longer changes the geometry of the entire
>action as the capstan & every other reg screw need to be turned
>downward.

I made no mention in my message of the angle of the hammer-head to
the shank.  That will depend on a number of factors.  What I said was
when the hammer hits the string the hammer-head should be at a right
angle to the _string_ and this is specially important in the extreme
treble.

JD