S&S D with high strings/low action stack

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 11 19:21:05 MDT 2006

Listees,
Here are the numbers I obtained from the D in question this morning:
	keys to fall-board felt 5/32 each end 1/8 in the middle
	action spread (whippen flange pin to hammer flange pin) wrote 4&3/8"
		(remember 4&3/4" will have to check that again if the other is crazy)
	Hammer Bore: is that from the top of felt to center of hammer shank?
	Bottom of bass 2&1/8"	top of first & second tenor break 1&7/8" , top
of first treble break 1&13/16" top 1&3/4"
	string height above key-bed same places as hammer measurements
	8&1/16"  --  7&7/8"  --  8"  --  7&15/16"  --  7&7/8"
	hammer flange pin height off of key-bed (measured on floor with back
end of key-frame down to the floor) 5&3/4"
	drop screws (back out fully up) to stretcher/pinblock 3/16"

It looks like the hammers are overstriking approx. 3/16"  to 3/8" of
an inch.  After looking at the treble hammers I'd say they have been
filed before I polished them with high grit.

So, would 3/4" wide veneer strips to 1/8" thick under the front and
back rails of the keyframe be too radical?  Perhaps another 1/16"
shimming the action stack braclets?

Andrew Anderson

BTW regarding my voicing question.  It helps to regulate before
voicing.  You discover and fix loose pinning and now I can't find the
dead notes anymore. :-)