S&S D with high strings/low action stack

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Oct 11 20:58:46 MDT 2006

Hi J D
  Perhaps I did misunderstood but if the hammer is  to strike the string at a
 right angle it preculdes that the hammer  shank will have to slightly
overcenter & that the bore length will be  slightly less than the String height
minus the center pin height to achieve  this.  I'm assuming you may be hanging the
hammers at a right angle to the  shank. In order to hit an angled string
plane with the hammer & have the  string and hammer at  right angles to  each
other ,somethings  got to give. See what I mean?
  Perhaps sharing your boring protocol will clear up what  your saying. Was
mine unclear?
  SIncerely
  Dale Erwin

    JD wrote
Broadly speaking I agree with Dale Erwin, as far as he goes, except
that I aim to have each hammer strike the string at exactly a right
angle.  I don't follow the reasoning as regards over-centring.  It
might be argued that the shank bends under a heavy blow and therefore
tends to cause the hammer head to under-centre slightly, but given
the  rigidity and thickness of modern shanks, particularly the
hornbeam ones, I  doubt if this is significant and would need to see a
slow motion movie to be  convinced.  Nevertheless I think it would be
a valid research exercise  for someone with the equipment, if it
hasn't already been  done.