S&S D with high strings/low action stack

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 12 11:10:09 MDT 2006

Dave,
t 09:38 PM 10/11/2006, you wrote:
>You can see for yourself that the hammers are bored too short given the
>specs you gave.  It seems that the plate is a too high.  The standard

I looked at the hammers and decided I wouldn't want to bore them that
much higher.  Either we raise the whole keyframe and action or we
lower the plate and string plane.  I have another D where a tech
bored S&S hammers to fix the problem and now I have to deal with the
capsizing and checking problems.  The tails are way to short and the
action is still quite extended above the cushions and capsizes too easily.

Your recommendation of custom hammers is probably the way to
go.  Course I'll have to be careful pulling the action or pushing it in.

Sounds like the spread is where it should be.  The action is just too
extended to have a good knuckle-jack line.

I'll have to talk to Steinway and see where they stand on this.

Andrew Anderson