New Hammers on Old Piano

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Oct 13 18:19:21 MDT 2006

Hey Terry
  I'm the proud owner of one this brilliant design  & fine piece of
engineering. This one is not 100 years old but built in  the 20's.  I haven't looked at
it for a while but the plate,board &  block should come out as a unit.  BTW
this is a very stiff board/system  Partly because it has a very straight
bridge roughly 2 inches tall  which accounts for  quite a lot of  mass to move
things  around.  The overall sound was very musical. We nicknamed it killer
because  it's heavy on one side & it fell over on Dennis when He & Jacob moved  it.
....He survived to name it.....yes.....killer
  When I hammer it  I will sample ,sample but I will  lean towards trying the
Wurzens first or  Whatever works best.  I am  very excited to get this piano
up & running.
  Dale

I'm rebuilding a WNG action for a  100-year-old Julius Bauer grand - about
6-foot. This is the one with  the lightly-built case, and plate that looks like
it should be the frame  for an army tank. It also has the soundboard with ribs
on both sides. The  belly is all original, in very good condition, and will
be getting new damper  felt and bass strings.

I'm looking for recommendations for new hammers.  I've been using mostly
softer cold-pressed hammers, but those are for  Del-Fandrich-designed bellies. I
suspect this soundboard differs  significantly from a Del-design - and as such,
may well do better with a  different type of hammer. I've used Abel Lights
with much success on  original-bellied old American pianos in the past (S&S,
Baldwin, others),  and left unguided, I might be inclined to go with them - just
thinking that  the soundboard is likely not as efficient as a Fandrich-design
and might  benefit from the firmer hammer.

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?  Thanks.

Terry Farrell

BTW: This piano is absolutely amazing. I have  never seen a more finely
constructed piano. The plate must have twice or more  the cast iron that a
similar-sized Baldwin or S&S would have. The pinblock  is surrounded on five sides
with cast iron - only the bottom is open. The  belly rail is arched - like a full
inch - to induce a crown into the  soundboard. So many unusual features - the
lack of wooden rim (only a  small one) and complete lack of rim bracing - and
the way the  plate is the entire structural component of the piano - this is
really a  cast-iron piano with a decorative wooden case. If you enjoy studying
piano  design and construction, you really need to go through one of these
very fine  pianos.