Cold and dry

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 09:06:30 MDT 2006

Hi Dean,

I didn't say that country Churches did not have wild pitch swings. The
usual problem is that they are tuned "once in a blue moon", or every
century or so.

I've had several poor experiences with full DC systems on uprights in
Churches where the Sanctuary is allowed to cool down significantly, and
have even tried internal thermostatically controlled heaters to try to get
a better response. I've abandoned the idea. I've also noted poorer than
usual response in homes with set back thermostats.

At 04:27 AM 10/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, my experience is totally the opposite. Old country churches, set back
>thermostats or not, tend to have the wildest pitch swings. And complete
>DampChaser systems with covers evens them out, set backs or not.
>
>Speaking of churches with set backs, always remember to tell them to bring
>the church up to the temperature (heat up, or a/c on, depending on the
>season) it will be at during service several hours before you arrive to
>tune. This will make you more comfortable (most important!) and will put the
>piano at its operating conditions, if you will, which will hopefully help
>ensure that the pitch you set it at will be the same pitch it is played at
>in the service.
>
>As to the original question, I don't think over dryness will be an issue in
>an unheated house. Remember it is relative humidity that is the issue.
>Relative humidity can still get pretty high in the winter, else it would
>never snow or sleet. It's when we add the heat to maintain a 60 degree
>temperature differential with the ambient that we drive the relative
>humidity levels extremely low.
>
>If the house is in an area with a lot of winter precipitation consider
>installing a 50 watt bar with dry humidistat to take care of any periods of
>high relative humidity. Otherwise, I would not worry about it being over
>dry. There will be no heat on to over dry the air.
>
>Dean

Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner