Puzzler With a DUH Factor

Alan R. Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 14 12:05:08 MDT 2006

Baldwin studio piano. E4 hanging up, not resetting. Problem is NOT with the keystick or capstan, not tight centers, not jack spring, not foreign object, not hammer hitting neighbor. Problem is in the w(h)ippen assembly and a giveaway clue has been included in this description. What, oh what, pray tell, was the problem?

By the way, I'd forgotten my Trusty Tunelab at home so had to tune this piano aurally (another reason to learn this skill and, erg, there were false beats all over the piano). Anyway, it was in a chapel at Fort Wood and a lady was vacuuming between the pews with a very quiet "backpack" type machine. But I was having a devil of a time tuning A4 to the fork and A3 to A4 ... until I realized that I was trying to tune them all to the vacuum cleaner which was hummmmmming along in the key of A.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
Joshua 24:15