New Hammers on Old Piano

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Sat Oct 14 12:19:48 MDT 2006

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Farrell
Sent: October 14, 2006 2:49 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: New Hammers on Old Piano

I haven't looked at it for a while but the plate,board & block should come out
as a unit.

Yes, I see that it would. The plate has a flange all the way around its
perimeter that butts up to, and is screwed into, the outer rim. The inner rim is
attached to the inside of the plate rim flange.

You might check that again. If it's like my old 9' J. B., the soundboard is
mounted to a separate "inner rim" that is fastened to the bottom of the plate.
But the sides of this inner rim were spaced a bit from the lower flange of the
plate. There were square headed bolts run into this rim which butted up against
the plate flange. You could actually adjust soundboard crown by turning these
bolts in or out.

Clever system and the only one I've ever seen in which soundboard crown can
actually be adjusted. This despite the various claims floating around.

Are you putting a new board in it or going with the original? If new, are you
charging for two sets of ribs!?

Now why would you want to replace that soundboard? In mine, at least, the top
and bottom ribs sistered each other and had obviously been pressed with the
soundboard crown in the cauls. The crown in the 9' JB's soundboard would have
survived Noah's flood.

Del