Laser Level for Bench Regulation

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Oct 16 04:20:34 MDT 2006

At 09:24 PM 10/15/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Is anyone out there using a laser level for bench regulating?
>This afternoon I bought a Gen-Tech Laser Level from Harbor Freight ($14.99)
>The laser rotates to send a horizontal or vertical plane of light, very
>useful.
>By setting it on some wood scraps and shimming with cards I could easily
>align it to first and last sample hammers in a section. It was very
>convenient for setting hammer line and back checks.  For some pianos it
>could perhaps also gauge let off and drop.
>Ed Sutton

A couple of questions:
How would one use a laser to set key "level" on a Steinway to get that
higher-in-the-middle line?
How would you set up for string planes which are uneven and unlevel?

>You're getting pretty hi-tech there. I just do it the old-fashioned way!
>Of course, I'm an old fart, too! :-D
>
>Avery

Not trying to be a Luddite, either, but:
The old-fashioned way is faster and waaaaay cheaper.
(In my most humble and old phardted opinion...) ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer

There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
-Casey Stengel