S&S D with high strings/low action stack

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 13:34:21 MDT 2006

At 1:13 pm -0500 16/10/06, Andrew Anderson wrote:

>Continuing saga:
>I spoke with a Steinway technician .... We discussed string height
>and he gave one specification: note 66 is to be 7&3/4" +/- 1/8"
>above the key-bed.

Hell!  I'd phone him again and get a recording of the conversation.
 From this we understand that for one particular note only Messrs.
Steinway in New York work to a tolerance of 1/4 inch and presumably
the odd half inch wouldn't matter in places.  A great advertisement!

Why don't you take off the key bottom and very roughly plane the
underside of the cheeks 1/4" or so.  Otherwise you could just get a
very large press and squeeze the whole thing until you get 7 3/4
inches :-)

JD