Baldwin SC Hammer Problem

Dtalcott at cs.com Dtalcott at cs.com
Tue Oct 17 13:43:01 MDT 2006

Good day. About two years ago I restrung a friend's Baldwin, SC with great
success
and while I was at it decided to refurbish and regulate the action as a
learning experience. No significant problems beyond repinning a dozen or so hammers
(I made a jig to tip the action for that).

However, upon returning the action to the piano we discovered that the two or
three
top hammers were only "clicking", not sounding. The hammer shoulders were
hitting
the damper rail.  We checked that the action was true and square and started
fiddling
with things. In order to free these hammers the action needed to be moved so
far
forward that it reached the limit of the cheek block adjustments and was
hanging
on the keyslip! So, we have left the keyslip loose for the time being and but
the project to one side.

After thinking about this for some time I've decided that the former
technician,
who apparently installed new hammers, placed the set too far out on the
shanks.
Unless he used some "unusual" glue, I should be able to move the hammerheads
further forward using heat and the standard techniques. My problem: what is
an
"easy" way to determine the strike point? And how may I transfer the
measurement
to the shanks, like with a pencil mark?

Do you think that I should reposition, say, only the top two octaves or
reposition
the entire set?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,