Young Chang Sticking Keys

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Oct 18 15:51:37 MDT 2006

Joe,

The answers are too numerous to list.  You "simply" need to work your way through the action, troubleshooting.  What have you tried so far??  Is this an upright Young Chang, or a Grand?

The very first thing I do is try to isolate the problem to the action stack or the key.  Alternatively, start at the front of the key, and work back into the action, isolating as much as possible as you go.

e.g.  Support the key at the rest position, and lift the wippen through its range of motion and return.  Does it seem to work as it should?  If yes, then I'll hedge a bet that the problem is in the keys.  If no, then it is usually fairly obvious from there.  You just have to work through it.

Best of luck,
William R. Monroe

And, Joe, please do not include the entire pianotech digest in your next post.  The archives will thank you.  You might also try and name the subject appropriately. ;-]

  Hi everyone,

  I'm a relatively new piano tuner (full time for about six months.)

  I tuned a 5 year old upright Yang Chung this morning.The woman hasn't played it very much.

  There were many "stickey keys." Whatever I tried did not work (I'm still learning repairs with my teacher.)

  I would appreciate any suggestions on how to "unstick" the keys.

  Thanks.

  Joe Rosenberg