High tension/ Ms Diller (OT?)

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Oct 23 13:53:13 MDT 2006

Hey there Hubert

Ethel was the lady I was hinting at... Carol Channing was a name I'd
forgotten about so it was cool you brought her to mind. Different
voicing issues altogether yes :)  Oh my we could get into all kinds of
wonderful analogy translating much of our voicing discussions into this
arena.

As for stars in general... my career has given me opportunity to see
most of the jazz greats up close and personal and I hear you loud and
clear as to some dont really enjoy our respect.  There's all sorts for
sure.

Back to topic tho... I've only had limited experience with cruise
boats... Queen Elizebeth II and a few of the other regulars that come
through here on occassion. Definitely not my bag. Always too little time
and too much to do.  But if you're built that way... hey its a good gig.

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric,

Ethel Merman or Carole Channing.. for two entirely different "voicing"
issues.
I know nothing about her personal life except for the week that she was
the Star Act on board. She treated every musician with respect and had a
great time with the passengers and crew. As Ron said "a classy lady".
There were some 'stars' that did not enjoy our respect!
To keep on topic, there were 7 or 8 pianos on board, and they were tuned
weekly. 1  9 foot Errard, 1 Small Gaveau grand, 3 Yamaha grands, and 1
Yamaha upright...I forget the numbers.
Time was limited for the two tuners and there was a small string/parts
supply on board. I had brought a "triage" tuning/regulation kit with me,
and took up the slack. There were 42 musicians on board and the pianos
were played 5 or so hours daily.

By the way: Anna Russell died last week....R.I.P.
    "I am not making this up"
               A.R. (circa 1947)