hitch pin glitch

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 23 17:14:48 MDT 2006

I am in fact glad that it's not a team from New York!  I'm rooting for Da Bears.

  Tom
Steve Blasyak <atuneforyou at earthlink.net> wrote:
        Hey Now,

  Tom I did not mean to imply that it was your fault. In fact clearly it is a Steinway issue. In your original post did you not state that several other hitch pins seemed to be leaning as well? My comment "oh man what do I do now" was in reference to how do I fix this mess. I was advised at the time by some local RPT's to go to the hardware store get some large nails, return to clients home see which one fits the hole the best. Drive it in cut it off to the appropriate length. This seemed appropriate for a 75 year old Knabe Grand in a state of dis-repair. Somehow I don't think that would be an acceptable repair for a four year old Steinway.

  Thus far I have not read any posts as to how do we go about replacing a bent /broken hitch pin. Are the new ones driven in to the plate, screwed in, or glued in? We have had some discussion about the speaking length of the string being too short. This to me leaves more questions than answers. How would one change the length of the string without changing the bridge? This seems to me to be a complete do-over. Obviously I am not a re-builder, but if this is in fact the cause it seems to be a major flaw in the design/manufacturing of the piano. Please keep us posted on your dealings with the folks at Steinway.

  If your in Chicago who do root for? Detroit or St. Louis....or are you just glad its not some team from New York.

  Steve