hitch pin glitch

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 23 17:47:01 MDT 2006

Thanks, that was informative.  I'm waiting to hear back from the local S&S dealer, but they haven't returned my call yet.  I'll try again tomorrow.

  Tom Sivak

A440A at aol.com wrote:
  Tom writes:
<< I was tuning a 4 year old S&S Model S yesterday. The piano was slightly
low in pitch, but not significantly, having been tuned only 6 months ago. By
me. The string at C8 broke at the capo bar. I was shocked. I
noticed the plate hitch pin. It was bent at a forward angle, leaning towards
the keys, unlike all the other hitch pins (with a few notable exceptions,
actually), which were all leaning back away from the keys at about the 2 o'clock
angle. This hitch pin was at an 11 o'clock angle.

The string didn't slip off the hitch pin, it broke at the capo when it
almost got up to pitch.

the hitch pin situation, but then why would the new string break? >>

Greetings,
I had an identical experience. 4 year old S, string at C5 would not
hold pitch longer than a day or so, finally noticed the hitch pin. it was
definitely moving toward me. I lowered tension on the string and with a light
tug, broke the hitch pin off! I punched the stub out through the bottom,
redrilled and installed another pin. It began leaning, also. Hmm, I went up one
pin sized,drilled .002" undersize, and tapped it in. Everything has been fine
for the last few years. Factory paid for the repair. If you will tape a
refridgerator magnet on the end of a soundboard steel, you can place it directly
under the plate and catch all the bits of iron and stuff.
The scale, if even slightly too long at C88 will break a lot of strings.
This one does it, too. I would be tempted to attach a slight extension to
the bridge in the place of the notch, and recut it closer to the capo. I don't
know of any other way to fix it in the piano. The official line on this is
probably not inclusive enough to allow re-engineering, though.

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT