steinway squeak

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Oct 24 21:28:09 MDT 2006

Hi Richard,

Try the dummy damper lever at the bass/tenor break.  I've found these squeaking at the flange pinning.

Also, check where the Damper Lever Spring rides in its slot - sometimes causes the same kind of noise that you get at the lift rod hangers.

How 'bout more info?

If you take the action out, and actuate the lift rod, does it still squeak?  Can be the lift rod squeaking against the cushion on the damper levers.

Can you make the squeak by moving the dampers back and forth with your hand, not the rod?  Then I'd suspect flange springs or flanges.

I'll guess it's the dummy damper lever.........

let us know.....

William R. Monroe

  Hi List,
  Client with a Steinway "K" ca: 70's , loud squeak in damper lift rod in action. Lubed brackets with clp , no better. Any ideas?
  Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano